Sunday, June 28, 2015

Bone Broth


Bone Broth is the new super food, and when you read up about it, it really is an incredible product. I've been reading Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Broth", which she co-wrote with Kaayla T. Daniel. When it's made with a mix of bones, it fits all the criteria, for health benefits. These bones  should include, cartilagious bones, which are those that are from the feet or knuckles (pig trotters, chicken feet, shanks) and marrow bones which will come from the back or shank/shin bone. I use a mixture of species when I make my bone broth, however if you are a purist, you may like to stick to one species. I just think that you get a better chance of getting all the good bits if you use different bits from different animals. To get lovely gelatinous stock, chicken feet or pigs trotters are almost essential! It really doesn't alter the flavour too much, in fact, it probably makes a tastier stock.

So is it called stock or broth? Bone broth is the trendy word, and suits me and I think it covers what I do. However, according to Sally Fallon, broth is a thicker, soupier texture and stock is the thin watery liquid. So technically what I make is stock, but I've chosen to call it bone broth.

Some of the examples given for healing using broth are:

  • osteoarthritis
  • rheumatoid  arthritis
  • scleroderma
  • psoriasis
  • wound healing
  • infectious disease
  • digestive disorders
  • cancer
  • mental health
  • sports and fitness
  • anti-aging
That's an exhaustive list, and while there are lots of antidotal examples of healing, there hasn't really been a lot of scientific research done. But, it tastes good, I'm sure it's helped me with curing colds and I'm not really sure what other benefits I've received, but I figure that it can't hurt! I make a very simple broth. 

Bone Broth
Selection of bones - I typically use a pigs trotter or chicken feet, chicken carcass, pork back bones and beef marrow bones. If I've cooked a roast chicken the night I'm making stock, I add those picked over bones to the broth as well. I cover the bones with water, add a bay leaf or two, some peppercorns, a teaspoon of salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar. Simmer gently. A crock pot is great for small amounts of stock.

The vinegar (and any type will do) is to leach all the goodness out of the bones. I prefer not to put a lot of vegetables in as I don't think it needs it and I get a lovely clear stock out of it this way. And it sets beautifully.

I cook mine for 24 hours, allow it to cool a little and then strain and store in plastic containers in the freezer or glass containers if keeping it in the fridge to use.

I use it in soup - we have soup for lunch about every second day in cooler weather. I cook rice, mashed potatoes, congee, add it to stir fries and stews. And if I'm feeling ill, I heat it up with a clove of garlic, some ginger and half a teaspoon of turmeric and fish sauce per cup. I drink this as often as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment