Sunday, April 10, 2016

I love recipe books

This book was given to me by one of my great friends! I absolutely love recipe books and this one is one like I could write! Some bits maybe not, as they aren't really things I would eat, but most of it is! It's all doing it from scratch cooking and using up leftovers and what you have on hand. I love it because she talks about bone broth and ferments - two of my favourite things to make lately! But mostly it's just cooking simple but interesting real food! I haven't bought any of the 'I quit sugar" books, mainly because I haven't really quit sugar, but I've certainly cut back a lot. What I have done though, is just quit buying packaged food. This way you limit sugar, salt and all the other nasties.


I love this quote and it is exactly what is behind my food lifestyle choice! I've only done a few things out of the book so far, but she's inspired me and I've got my cooking mojo back, so I'm happy. The photo below is my fermented roasted garlic. I've fermented garlic before, but raw garlic, so it'll be interesting to see how this one tastes. The raw one is pretty good.


One thing Sarah encourages is doing a flow of cooking - just get in and do lots at once. While I was cooking some oven chips for lunch yesterday, I decided to roast the garlic at the same time as this, I made some seasoned salt. This wasn't one of her recipes, but I think she would approve:
  • Himalayan pink salt
  • ground pepper
  • chopped chili
  • chopped garlic
  • lemon rind
  • oregano 
  • rosemary
  • dulse flakes

Other things you can add or put in salt are dried mushrooms, dried tomatoes, celery, onion.....it's only limited by your imagination. I chop it all up fine and then put in the oven for about half an hour, so that all the uncooked bits dry and and stop the salt from going moldy.

I'm currently making some tomato sauce with my tomatoes left over from easter weekend. I've just done a quick pasta sauce in the thermomix, which I'll put into the freezer. Pulled pork with homemade tortillas last night for tea. I've baked a couple of cakes and I tonight I think I'll just make soup! This book is currently my favourite recipe book.......what's yours?




6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are really on a roll Sisc- enjoy! My favorite recipe book at the moment, and for some months is Donna Hays " Life in balance", which has some great healthy recipes, including the seedy crackers I brought to your party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are really on a roll Sisc- enjoy! My favorite recipe book at the moment, and for some months is Donna Hays " Life in balance", which has some great healthy recipes, including the seedy crackers I brought to your party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make some of them. They were really good! I like Donna hays recipes too! I just love looking through recipe books! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Blog Lucy, we are on the same wavelength my favourite book is Eat Fresh by Annabel Langbein, will look at Simplcious as I have a gift token to spend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got that one, but I've got another of hers. I love her style too. I read recipe books like novels, so the more interesting the better! Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions is a good one that you can just pickup and put down and read something new each time.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing such great information.It is informative, can you help me in finding out more detail on Healthy Food ,iam interested and would like to know more about this field and wanted to understand the basics of Diet Plan

    ReplyDelete